Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

On Being Pro-Life

I consider myself to be pro-life. What does that mean? Simply put, I'm in favor of life. I think life's a good thing. All other things being equal, I'll support something that's alive over something that isn't.

I also believe in respecting the beliefs of others. So, for example, being pro-life I am also a vegetarian. However, when I go out to eat with friends who aren't I have no urge to try to convert them, and I expect the same respect.

Being pro-life, I also would never get an abortion. Of course, I'm a member of the approximately 50% of our population who will never be given the opportunity to test that resolve. I can't guarantee that, if things were different and I were able to have an unwanted pregnancy, I'd make the same decision. So, I consider it none of my business when someone else makes that decision, one way or the other.

Being a pacifist has been pretty easy for me. I'm at exactly the right age to have missed the draft for Vietnam, and I'm too old to ever have had to even register for the draft. So, I haven't been tested on that one. But it's hard for me to come up with many circumstances in which I war is the best answer. Iraq certainly doesn't raise itself over that bar. If someone wants to volunteer to go fight in a war I can't stop them. But if they are doing it for the wrong reasons (my country, my religion, my people are more important/better than others) they have lost my respect (for whatever that's worth).

Capital punishment is another problem for me. Besides the idea that we are almost certainly killing innocent people, there is the fact that it does not deter any crime and the fact that it costs more to kill a criminal than it does to lock him away.

Pro-life also means that I believe in supporting the other living entities on this planet, as well as the systems in which they thrive. Yes, just because they are there and they are alive. I believe we, as the dominant life form on this planet with the capability to destroy so much so easily, have a duty to protect the other life forms. I believe that, to the extent that the people and businesses on this planet don't do this, the governments on this planet have a duty to provide a voice to protect the planet and enforce that protection.

So, there you have it. I'm pro-life, and I refuse to let someone else co-opt a perfectly good phrase and make it mean something else, just to make their cause sound better. I'm pro-life, but you won't find me at any anti-abortion rally (on either side). I'm pro-life, but not because some religious leader told me to be but rather because I believe it's the right way to be.

Now, who's willing to take a stand and claim to be anti-life?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Bernstein said...

"So, I consider it none of my business when someone else makes that decision, one way or the other."

Which means you're also pro-choice. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

"I'm pro-life, but you won't find me at any anti-abortion rally (on either side)"

Hmm. So, you don't think it is important to stand up to people who do think that interfering with other people's decisions is their business?

Thu Apr 26, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger insomniac said...

Good question, Michael. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to write an essay on being pro-choice.

My point is that I refuse to allow other people to redefine a phrase for their own political purposes, and to forever give up my ability to use that phrase for what it really means. I am what I am (and I eats me spinach) and you can put any label on me you like. But ultimately labels like this encourage people to bomb abortion clinics or the like.

This is America, and I strongly support the right of people who feel strongly to argue for or against the legalization of abortion. Neither group is likely to change many minds with their tactics, but that's ok. At some point there is a slight chance that logic will prevail over emotion. Meanwhile, I'll just sit at the side and try to throw in a reasoned argument, or perhaps a bit of sarcasm, while I wait.

Thu Apr 26, 11:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home