Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Can't You At Least Look Like You Care?

On my bike today near the end of a long ride, I was going west on Jay Rd, through the intersection with the Diagonal Highway (just outside of Boulder). I was sprinting because the light was about to change.

A woman in a small convertible (top down, it was a nice day) was coming the other direction and turning left, and cut me off. She could have just stopped and let me through (as the law requires). Instead, she tried to maneuver through, forcing me to stop in the middle of the intersection.

Ok, inattentive drivers happen, and near misses aren't that uncommon. But this woman saw me. She looked positively bored, like this kind of thing happens all the time, and it was so inconvenient. This woman is definitely not going to learn from her mistake.

On the infinitesimal chance that the driver reads this, here is your lesson:
  • You are in Boulder. People on bikes are out there. Get used to us.

  • We have the same rights as cars. Yield to us when you're turning. (Pretend the bike is an SUV.)

  • Normally, I might worry about going through someone's windshield in an incident like this. But with your top down, I would've ended up in your lap. How would you have explained that to your boyfriend?

  • How about you ride the bike next time and let me drive and see what the experience is like from the other side.
Anyway, have a great ride everybody, and enjoy the nice weather!

Ride of Silence

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home