Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's Defeatable

I have in the past written about problems with TurboTax's It's Deductible product. So, in all fairness, I need to post the workaround that I discovered for my problem (with no help from Intuit).

My problem is that there is no way to get the charitable donation valuation data out of It's Deductible unless you are using Intuit's sister product, TurboTax. And, since my tax situation is outside of TurboTax's capabilities, I can't retrieve the data without purchasing a copy that I won't be able to use.

Here's the workaround: Start a tax return with TurboTax Online. You won't be charged until you either file or print your taxes, and you won't have to do either one of those. Go directly to the charitable donations section and load your data from It's Deductible. Then go back and revisit the section again. You will be able to view all of your donations, including valuations. You can't print the form (I suppose print screen would work), but I just copied down the numbers by hand. Then I just give that sheet to my accountant to complete that section of my tax return.

Pretty simple, eh? Too bad Intuit couldn't tell me that.

I wonder if they will remove the ability to do this in future years?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home