Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Kit vs. Doe

These pictures were taken this morning at breakfast, through the glass kitchen door, when one of the kits came right up on the deck to investigate. There was a bit of rain water in the basket, and it was getting a drink as well.


As long as I'm inside with the door closed, it's as if I don't exist, and it will come right up to me. But if I were to open the door it would be gone in an instant.


It's really been quite entertaining here lately. The two kits, when they are out, are quite playful, jumping, chasing, and generally acting like kids. Sometimes mom joins in, or she leads them to and from our neighbor's yard to play. Sometimes there is a second adult as well.

Late yesterday afternoon, I looked out the window and saw about five does grazing in our front yard. Not too unusual, but one of them was very close to the irrigation pipe that the foxes are using as their den, and she was acting a bit curious. I looked more closely, and I saw a tiny face poking out of the end of the pipe. No mama fox anywhere in sight.

I was surprised that they would interact at all. Deer are too big to be fox prey. But they were clearly both interested. Eventually, the doe walked on by into our neighbor's driveway. The kit ventured out of the hiding place, and the other does started moving in closer.

Most of the rest of the does walked by. As the last one approached the den, the kit and the doe both turned to watch something at the street. A family with a dog was walking by. Once it was gone, the doe moved in to check out the kit. She put her nose right up to it, and when she touched it, the startled fox turned and dove in one move back into its hiding place.

That was it for the fox part of the entertainment. The does moved back into our yard, where the dandelions are obviously tastier.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home