Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Will's Values

It's rare that I find myself agreeing with columnist George Will. However, in a column today he pointed out the fallacy of referring to evangelical Christians as "values voters". This usage implies that these people have a lock on values, and that everybody else somehow is without. I have to agree with this assessment.

I totally resent the fact that because my values don't coincide with those of Jerry Falwell they don't count to those who base their positions on so-called values. My positions are highly values-based, as, I'm sure, are those of most voters of all religious and political stripes.

For example, one of my values is respect for the Constitution. Clearly, many folks of both major political parties feel that the Constitution is merely an inconvenience when it contradicts their other values.

We have a Republican party that doesn't believe in separation of church and state. We have a Democratic party that sometimes ignores the right to free speech. And we have a President who feels that separation of powers is quaint, and pretty much ignores half of the Bill of Rights.

Well, folks, just remember. The person who votes oppositely to you believes just as strongly that they are right and you are wrong. And the person that votes opposite to me IS wrong.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home