Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Friday, March 09, 2007

Signs of Spring

What's the difference between insomnia and amnesia?

I can't remember. Can I just sleep on it?

I knew spring finally had to show up. The first sign is that the ice on our street has finally been reduced to a single snowball a block away, some puddles, and potholes too numerous to count.

Days are getting longer. And that can only mean one thing: My least favorite day of the year. That would, of course, be the first day of daylight saving time. That valuable lost hour of sleep won't be regained this year until November, leaving me further sleep deprived for a month longer than I'm used to.

The change in DST this year has caused some consternation among software folks all over. It seems like lazy programmers didn't account for the fact that the start and end day of DST might change. Kind of like a mini Y2K.

You'd think a big company like Microsoft would have this all figured out well in advance. But in my office we use Microsoft Outlook for all of our scheduling, and it just ain't so. A couple of days ago, we got an email from our IT guy, with an emergency patch from Microsoft that we were all supposed to run. This patch would supposedly fix all of our appointments so they would be scheduled correctly between the new start of DST and when it used to start three weeks later.

Well, the meeting update notices were flying through our email system, until we got another notice from IT warning us not to run the patch. The new instructions? Look at your calendar and see if your meetings are all scheduled at the right times. If not, change them manually.

I think I'll wait until Monday to do that. If the world happens to end due to the DST bug, I will have saved that effort.

What's up with daylight saving time, anyway? I'm pretty sure we don't actually save any daylight. We just give up an hour of sleep and have to get up earlier.

Congress passed the law to extend DST as a way to save energy. However, they forgot to take into account the fact that we will all have to turn on our lights in the morning when we get up, and will no doubt use most of the energy we save.

Do you think anybody would notice if I "forgot" to adjust my clocks, and just showed up an hour late to everything all summer?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home