Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Thursday, October 05, 2006

How's Your Aspen?

A grove of aspen trees is considered to be one of the largest living organisms on the planet (if not the largest) as well as among the oldest. Because the grove is connected by a single root system and shares a common set of DNA, the trees within a grove turn at the same time in the fall. This leads to one of the most spectacular and anticipated annual events in Colorado high country -- the viewing of the aspens.

Last weekend I went for a run on Switzerland Trail, north of Gold Hill (about 13 miles west of Boulder, at about 8500-9000 feet of elevation). Knowing it was the peak aspen viewing weekend, I brought my camera, and took the pictures you see here.


This picture shows a spot where the trail goes through the middle of an aspen grove.



The same grove from up close.



A panoramic view of a larger grove. The truck in the foreground gives a sense of scale.



The view from inside.



Sometimes it seems like a giant paintbrush was used on the side of the mountain. I think if you saw this from a plane you would be able to decipher the writing.



If you follow this trail far enough, do you get to the top of that mountain?



Looks like this grove thought I was coming up last weekend.

I'll be back next year!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home