Insomnia Log

This is what keeps me awake at night???

Who needs sleep? (well you’re never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep? (tell me what’s that for)
Who needs sleep? (be happy with what you’re getting,
There’s a guy who’s been awake since the second world war)

-- words and music by Steven Page & Ed Robertson

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

Everything you need to know about me can be found in my posts

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Saba Pictures

I recently wrote about the Saba Hell's Gate Triathlon, which I competed in at the beginning of this month. I thought some of my readers might be interested in some photos from Saba. Click on any picture to see the full-size version.


This is the bike I did the race on. Note the fine natural rust color of the chain, and the ultra-fast, ultra-light race wheels.


We loaded the bikes up on the ferry and cruised over from St. Maarten to Saba. My bike's in the back. Notice that somebody else rented one of these wonder machines.


This is the view of Saba from the ferry. Just five square miles, and its head in the clouds. Not one flat spot. Well's Bay, the start of the triathlon, is just around the point on the right side.


Just to give you an idea of the number of people in the race, here is a shot of the registration and pasta dinner the night before the race.


This is a shot of the race start location from the ferry. If you zoom in, you can see the steepness of the Road as it rises from Well's Bay. Using my protractor, I make it out at about 40%.


Here you can see a rainstorm coming in, like the one that made the race so much fun.


This view from Saba shows the island of Statia in the foreground, with St. Kitts behind, and Nevis barely visible in the background. On a clear day you can see to Montserrat.


This panorama shows the seascape visible from the guest house we stayed at. In the distance you can make out the islands (left to right) of St. Maarten, St. Barths, and Statia.



These are a couple of views of Mt. Scenery. At 877 meters, this volcano is the only cloud forest in the Caribbean.


The patrons of this church in Windwardside (past which the bike course goes) must worship their own interesting version of the Holy Trinity. I visited the night before the race to see if any of it would rub off on me. I believe the names of the three cats are (left to right) Swim, Bike, and Run.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home